Why Offer a Wellness Program?
What Legal Issues Are Involved With a Wellness Program?
Sample Wellness Plan Design
- A fitness facility or health club will be considered a covered organization by the claim administrator if the claim administrator, at its sole option, determines that the fitness facility or health club meets all of the following requirements:
- Each fitness instructor is certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and a staff person certified in CPR is on the premises at all times of operation;
- Written procedures exist for medical emergencies with all staff trained in these procedures;
- Liability waivers are maintained on file for each participant by the fitness facility or health club;
- The fitness facility or health club employs at least one full-time staff person with a minimum of a four-year degree in either health education, wellness education, physical education, exercise physiology, physical therapy, or public health or employs a full-time physician’s assistant, registered nurse, or physician;
- An individual performs and evaluates a review or assessment of medical and physical health for each participant;
- Membership fees are paid by or receipted to each participant on a quarterly or more frequent basis;
- There is a designated manager or director of the fitness facility or health club; and
- The fitness facility or health club has an accepted current wellness services provider application on file with the claim administrator as of the date fees are to be paid by the participant.
Wellness Program Requirements
Other health agencies, post-secondary schools, clinics, fitness facilities, or other organizations offering educational programs will be considered covered organizations by the claim administrator if the claim administrator, at its sole option, determines that the program meets all of the following requirements:
- The organization employs at least one full-time staff person with a minimum of a four-year degree in either health education, wellness education, physical education, exercise physiology, physical therapy, or public health or employs a registered dietitian, registered nurse, physician’s assistant, nurse practitioner, physician, psychologist, psychiatrist or a social worker with a master’s degree;
- The program instructor has appropriate training and experience and consults with a professional practicing in a field directly related to the program topic;
- The program provides each participant with the opportunity to evaluate program content and the instructors;
- The fees are to be paid by the participant on a per-session or per-course basis; and
- The organization has an accepted current wellness services provider application on file with the claim administrator as of the date fees are to be paid by the participant.
Wellness Classes and Programs
- Subject to the participant annual maximum benefit limit, official name] will pay benefits at 90% of the fees charged for the following programs sponsored by a covered organization as described above:
- Accident prevention and safety skills education classes;
- Healthy back education classes, including back pain prevention classes;
- Biofeedback education classes;
- Hypertension screening and treatment education classes;
- Nutrition and/or diet instruction including weight control and management classes, including necessary laboratory charges as part of the program, not including any food items or diet supplements;
- Educational classes for alcohol and drug misuse/abuse training and/or understanding;
- Parenting skills education classes (does not include prenatal, Lamaze or birthing education or training);
- Stress management educational classes;
- Smoking cessation programs;
- Classes for wellness concepts; and
- Classes and assessment of lifestyle health risk factors including initial evaluations for admittance to an exercise program.
- Subject to the participant annual maximum benefit limit, [officialname] will pay benefits at 60% of the fees charged for the following programs sponsored by a covered organization as defined above:
- Any continuous three month or more frequent membership fees for aerobic fitness conditioning programs of a qualified fitness facility, health club, or other covered organization as defined above, including court fees, circuit weight training and weight lifting that enhances aerobic training (does not include swimming lessons, initiation fees, tanning fees or sauna fees and similar charges);
- CPR classes and instruction on first aid (does not include instructor training courses); and
- Prenatal classes, Lamaze classes, and birthing instruction courses.
- Subject to the participant annual maximum benefit limit, [officialname] will pay benefits at 30% of the fees charged for the following programs sponsored by a covered organization as defined above:
- Biomechanical assessment which includes flexibility, body and muscle strength and/or% body fat measurements;
- Relaxation skills and techniques educational classes;
- Retirement planning and educational classes; and
- Time management instruction and educational classes.
B. Health Risk Assessment
Additional Wellness Information
We also recommend visiting us here at Rejuvenating Chiropractic, PLLC or contacting us at our health and wellness center to discuss ways in which we can implement a plan to improve the health of your employees.
If you live in the North Texas Region, visit our Denton Chiropractic office for all of your deep tissue massage therapy and chiropractic needs. We are happy to assist you by providing you with a complimentary analysis of any health concerns that you may have.